Monday, March 4, 2013

Wounds that need a Healer!

 Have you ever had one of those cuts that is so deep that it takes a long time to mend or maybe a broken bone that takes a long time to heal. When I was ten years old I broke my right hip. I was riding my bike to school when I hit a bump and lost control of my bike and landed at the bottom of a hill in extreme pain. Even though this was more than 20 years ago I still remember the pain. I think this is why I am such a baby about pain today! My mother took me to the hospital and after x-rays and what seemed like a very long wait the doctor came in to tell us I had a broken hip and that I would need surgery immediately. Some time later I woke up in a recovery room with three screws in my hip.

 My mother had to home-school me for a couple of months because the doctor did not want me going to school and risking another fall. I walked with crutches for three months or so and then I went to a cane for a few more months. I was so happy to go back to school and be with my friends! A year after my accident I had to have another surgery where they removed the screws from my hip. When they went to prep me for surgery they had hoped that they could make an incision where they had a year before to remove the screws, but they couldn't they had to make a new cut because I had grown and my skin had grown along with me. So now I have two rather large scars on the top on my right leg.

 When I think back to this situation I am reminded that just like a bone that is broken takes time to mend, so do wounds to our hearts. I don't know about you, but when I have been hurt I don't just wake up the next morning feeling lucky ducky! I hurt, I cry, I pray! I do this day after day after day! I beg God to take away my pain and to heal me! Sometimes it is only takes a few days, sometimes it takes weeks or even months for my soul to be healed.

 I share this because maybe you are like me and I want to say to you never give up. Always believe that God will bring complete healing. It may not be today and it may not be tomorrow, but it will come. And just like my body had grown in a year while my hip healed, I am reminded that my soul always grows while the Lord is healing it. When I choose to give my hurt to God I always end up stronger! I always end up with more faith in God and less faith in myself. I always end up receiving a whole lot of grace and learning to give grace where it is needed. So even though the wound was hard to bear I can say that after it is healed I am better than I was before I was ever wounded!

"Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."
James 1:2-4


2 comments:

  1. I remember walking to the hospital or to your house after school a lot of days to visit you until my mom was done at the school. I am loving your blog and even if I don't comment often keep up the good work!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written friend. Thank you for sharing your grace and love. Just reading this helps wounds heal.

    ReplyDelete